Saturday, March 1, 2008

When it rains, it pours

Yikes...Well first of all, Shane's surgery went well! They were able to take the disc out, clean out a lot of bone spurs, check his spinal cord and nerves and ALL IS GOOD!

Let me just give you a run down of events. I got a call late Monday night from Momma on her way to the hospital. Poppy had fallen while he was outside and hit his head. He has had a blood disease for a while where his blood will not clot, so it was very scary! He went to the Bonham hospital first but they felt they were not prepared to deal with the bleeding so they moved him to Sherman. I went to see him Tuesday and he just looked terrible! His eyes were swollen shut, he had his whole head bandaged up, he was in pain and confused. They have since stopped the bleeding and he is doing much better.
Then it was time to get ready for Shane's surgery. We left our apartment at 4:30 am and they wheeled him into surgery at about 7:30 am. Around 11 I was able to go see him, they went in through the FRONT of his throat to get to the back so his throat has been really sore and swollen. I was really worried because he became very nauseous. He doesn't have any stitches, just a glue patch over his incision, so if you watch Grey's he's throwing up, I am picturing when Seth Green's character's neck vain blew open (not pretty). The nurse could tell I was uneasy and she said, don't worry, as long as he is able to breathe it will be fine. Well, Great! That just made all of my worries better. gees! He finally got over that and was able to rest a little bit.
I spent the night with him (worrying and not sleeping) then left the hospital at 5:30 am because I HAD to be at school for staff development. Thank goodness for Momma who came over and then took him home from the hospital!
So he got home yesterday and was doing pretty well, then he started having this really nasty cough and runny nose...then about 2 am this morning I checked his temperature...103! So I call the PA on call and he really was not patient with me. He there a reason you are checking his temperature at 2 in the morning? Excuse me...he just had surgery and they said I should be watching because it shouldn't get over 101, I have slept for 5 total hours in two days, I am not a doctor, I'm worried about my husband...I almost had a breakdown. I think he could tell I was getting upset so he changed his tone (lucky for him:) I finally got him back to sleep fighting pain and nausea. The PA called in some more meds, so today he is feeling a little better!
So needless to say, keep the thoughts and prayers coming our way!


Jamie said...

oh my gosh laine... you sure haven't had a good past few days.
i am sure that everything is going to be ok, just try and get some rest & you too shane! thanks for the updates.... talk to you guys soon....

Anne-Camille said...

Awww... wish we could be there to help you! Hang in there!!! Just rest when you can.

Give us an update when he gets better and when you finally get rested.

Sending you a big hug from over here!!! Love you so much sweet girl!!!

Jason and Kyla said...

So glad to see an update but not all the trauma. Praying that everything gets much much better very very soon!


Lindsey said...

Aww! Laine! That's awful! I'm keeping ya'll in my prayers! Hopefully, Shane will be better soon!!

Lindsey said...

Thank you so much! I am beyond thrilled!! We will have to get ya'lls address so ya'll can come to the wedding!
Planning is going to be SO fun!! Hehe!

Crowders said...

Sending hugs to you....... I feel your pain though, after Tom's jaw surgery in Germany, we both had a terrible time trying to get past the recovery. I hope you're both getting more sleep with every day and that Shane's pain level is lessening quickly!!! Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end! Let us know how he is when you can... but only after you've rested!! Love you! Kristin

Jill said...

Bless your heart. Hope everyone is resting well now.